Hadith No. 7 – Sahih al-Bukhari
We’re done with one part of Sahih al-Bukhari – Book of Revelation. Alhamdulillah. Now, Book of Iman (Faith) starts.. This is the introductory Hadith:
Narrated Ibn ‘Umar:
Allah’s Apostle said: Islam is based on (the following) five (principles):
1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad (SAW) is Allah’s Apostle.
2. To offer the (compulsory congregational) prayers dutifully and perfectly.
3. To pay Zakat (i.e. obligatory charity) .
4. To perform Hajj. (i.e. Pilgrimage to Mecca)
5. To observe fast during the month of Ramadan.
Sounds easy, right? Alhamdulillah. =)
We all know about these principles of Faith, I’m sure. But let’s check ourselves once more..
1. Shahadah: To testify that there is no God but Allah.. Do I testify? If I had to say it in front of a 1000 anti-Islamic people, would I be able to say it fearlessly?
To testify that Muhammad (SAW) is Allah’s Apostle.. Meaning he was sent by Allah to complete the Religion. Do I take his words and actions seriously? Do I follow him completely? Or is my reaction like this: ‘Miswak? That’s just a Sunnah. I don’t HAVE to do it, right?’ Allah says in the Qur’an:
“…. and whatever the Messenger gives you, accept it, and from whatever he forbids you, keep back, and be careful of (your duty to) Allah. (Surah Al-Hashr, 7)
2. Prayers: Am I regular in them? Do I pray five times a day? ON TIME? Because:
Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said: “If anyone abandons prayer deliberately he has no claim upon Allah” (Sunan).
3. Zakat: If I’m obligated to pay it, do I do it honestly? If I’m not eligible yet, do i plan to pay it when the time comes inshaAllah? Let’s make the intention now.
4. Hajj: Once in a lifetime. InshaAllah!
5. Fasting in Ramadaan: Do I complete them? All 30 or 29? Do I try to achieve the purpose – Taqwa?
These are very basic principles. To complete our Faith, we need to pay attention to all of them. We can’t just take them lightly.
So, this is my checklist for today:
- Renew Faith – testify/proclaim.
- Act upon at least one Sunnah – Recite Surah al-Mulk before going to sleep.
- Pray on time.
- Make the intention to do Hajj, inshaAllah.
- Give Sadaqah (since Zakat isn’t obligatory yet)
- Fast 6 days of Shawwal, and wait for next Ramadaan. ;)
Make your own checklist.