Volume 2, Book 13, Number 756:
Narrated Jabir bin ‘Abdullah:
While we were praying (Jumua Khutba & prayer) with the Prophet (p.b.u.h), some camels loaded with food arrived (from Sham). The people diverted their attention towards the camels (and left the mosque), and only twelve persons remained with the Prophet. So this verse was revealed: “But when they see some bargain or some amusement, they disperse headlong to it, and leave you standing.” (62.11)
وَإِذَا رَأَوْاْ تِجَـرَةً أَوْ لَهْواً انفَضُّواْ إِلَيْهَا وَتَرَكُوكَ قَآئِماً قُلْ مَا عِندَ اللَّهِ خَيْرٌ مِّنَ اللَّهْوِ وَمِنَ التِّجَـرَةِ وَاللَّهُ خَيْرُ الرَزِقِينَ
But when they saw a transaction or a diversion, [O Muhammad], they rushed to it and left you standing. Say, “What is with Allah is better than diversion and than a transaction, and Allah is the best of providers.” [Qur’an 62: 11]
To get some detail on this incident, read it in Tafsir Ibn Kathir.
Some important points:
- Companions were humans. They did commit mistakes and errors in their lives, NOT due to weakness in Iman, but general lack of training. This does not lower their rank or status in our eyes whatsoever because of Allah’s statement:
Allah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Him. Such people are the party of Allah. Truly it is the party of Allah who are successful. (Surat al-Mujadala, 22)
- Whenever something went wrong, Prophet (SAW) corrected it, and/or Allah (SWT) sent down revelation regarding it. All such incidents have been recorded in the books of Ahadith and history. It’s a blessing for us, because we can derive great benefit from them. We must learn from these incidents, teach others and make sure not to repeat those mistakes again.
- We must never come to any conclusions before knowing the background or both sides of the coin, to be more precise.
- When in a halaqah of Quran/Hadith/knowledge, NEVER be distracted. It is Shaytaan who wants to distracts you and does not want any good to come to you. No matter what comes up, the knowledge you’re gaining in that halqah is far more better and way more important than any worldly thing. So FOCUS!
- Generalize this rule: focus on what you’re doing. What good is there in distraction after all?
- Trust Allah when He says this:
“What is with Allah is better than diversion and than a transaction, and Allah is the best of providers.“
- Obey Allah. Follow the Sunnah. Be cool.