Hadith no. 1924 (below) is a repeat. Read it here.
Volume 3, Book 34, Number 429 :
Narrated by ‘Aisha (radiallaahu `anhaa)
When the last verses of Surat-al-Baqara were revealed, the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) went out (of his house to the Mosque) and said, “The trade of alcohol has become illegal.”
Volume 3, Book 34, Number 430 :
Narrated by Abu Huraira (radiallaahu `anhu)
The Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wasallam) said, “Allah says, ‘I will be against three persons on the Day of Resurrection:
1. One who makes a covenant in My Name, but he proves treacherous.
2. One who sells a free person (as a slave) and eats the price.
3. And one who employs a laborer and gets the full work done by him but does not pay him his wages.’ “
Allah (SWT) saying “I will be against so and so” is a huge thing. It’s not like the president of United States is saying it so one shouldn’t be afraid. This is Allah, King of all kings, Master of all masters, the One with most authority and power. When He says He’s against someone, it’s a big deal!
Imagine what Allah would do to the person He’s against on the Day of Judgement.. would He look at Him, make any friendly conversation with him, or extend any protection or help? That person would be in some serious trouble that day! May Allah not make us of those who earn His wrath.
We have to make sure we don’t fall in either of the above 3 categories:
- Taking an oath in Allah’s Name and then not fulfilling it. This can happen quite easily if we’re not cautious. Extra care required.
Don’t think the everyday promises/commitments you make aren’t included. Just saying!
- Selling a free person as a slave.. not really a problem in this day and age, but we can be careful about taking advantage of other people. Never take credit for something you didn’t do. Never accept compensation for a task you didn’t perform.
- Employing someone and not paying them even after getting all the work done by them. This includes servants in your home and employees in your office/business. It’s better to pay the salary early.. Abdullah ibn Umar (Radhi-Allahu ‘anhu) narrated that Allah’s Messenger (salAllahu alayhi wa sallam) said: “Give the worker his wages before his sweat dries.” [Tirmidhi Hadith: 2987 and Ibn Majah]